Sunday, March 7, 2010

christ and cross

an easter image in wood





I had a request to render in wood an iconic image of Christianity. As I carved the poplar, and the form of a man carrying the cross began to emerge, I knew that this powerful moment I was depicting held much symbolic meaning for humankind. Through selfless love, Jesus carries the weight of mankind, and sacrifices himself for us. Can we bear the weight of our own mortality? Do we have the strength to free our souls by making earthly sacrifices? Whatever religious and spiritual beliefs we follow, love should guide us all, and our spirits will rise to meet the angels.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh he's GORGEOUS, Rick! Love it!

Melissa said...

This is absolutely beautiful. Something about this really inspires a reflective attitude in me. A real stillness. What a talent you have!

Indigo, madder, marigold said...

Oh, so timely and incredibly beautiful. indeed...beauty in the struggle.

Beth said...

So thoughtful and inspiring...beautiful!

FrontierDreams said...

I absolutely ADORE this. Beautiful!! Our sprite that we use as our root child made it's appearance last Saturday and we were all so happy to see it again, thank you!

Rose said...

Jesus carrying the Roman cross brings tears to my eyes. I wonder what I would have done if I had lived at that time. Would i have had the courage to help him~maybe give him so water out of my jar? His blood covers our sins forever and I am so grateful . Thank you for this touching post, Rose